Wooden Church Bank, circa 1950s
Church Decoration and Ornament
This wooden bank was given to the Reverend Reuben W. Hall during his pastorate at Matthews Memorial Baptist from 1949 to 1954. The bank was symbolic of our church edifice at 2627 Nichols Avenue, and it may have been used to encourage the congregation to contribute to the growing church that sat on the hill. The bank has two steps leading to a moveable hinged front door, a steeple with outlined markings to indicate windows further outlined around the front and sides of the church, with an indication of a rose window at the front and rear. A slot, located on the roof behind the steeple, was used to receive donations.
Matthews Memorial Baptist Church
Grant - 12-DCCHP-11
Hall, LaVerne C.
Image Copyright Deacon Elijah Sutton, 2012
The Humanities Council holds the right to display and distribute grant funded materials.
Researchers are responsible for obtaining proper rights and permissions from original copyright holders.
Still Image Item Type Metadata
Copy the code below into your web page