DC Digital Museum

Search using this query type:



Search only these record types:

Item

Advanced Search (Items only)

Browse Items (111 total)

Provides a biographical account of John J. Earley, a description of the unique process he developed for adding "architectural cement" to building projects, and the story of his contributions to the Franciscan Monastery in Washington, DC.

The Underwood Five was one of the most popular typewriter models from its introduction in 1901 until the proliferation of word processors and computers. This Underwood, on display in Matthews Memorial Baptist Church’s Russell Hall, was used by…

This fragile Holy Bible dates to the early 1940s, when Viola Patterson gave it to her son Frank Patterson Jr. who was ten years old at the time. The bible is in need of significant restoration and conservation work.

These two documents are sermons written by Pastor Wendell P. Russell. His wife, First Lady Eleanor S. Russell noted that he typed his own sermons, and occasionally wrote them by hand. With these one-page outlines of his sermon, accompanying his Holy…

This copy of Gregg Transcription by Leslie Zoubek was owned by Sister Mary E. Rose a Sunday School teacher at Matthews Memorial Baptist Church. John Robert Gregg (1867-1948) was the inventor of short hand originally known as light line phonography.…

This image from a photo album kept by Pastor R.V. Coger and First Lady Ophelia Coger, depicts an image of church life from the 1960s. The photograph was taken from the rear of the space that is now Matthews Memorial Baptist Church's Russell Hall, the…

In the spring of 1991, Steven Hollimon was selected to be a US Student Ambassador of Goodwill to travel abroad to the Soviet Union for three weeks. During his tour, he was able to experience a family stay and a culture he had only read about in…

Deacon Bettie Sheppard who served as chairperson of the Deaconess Board designed and developed this Deaconess Ministry Information Booklet for 1999. During the pastorate of the Reverend John H. Kearney, Sr., the women’s “Deaconess” designation…

This is a leather-bound folio with a sepia photo portrait of the Pastor R.V. Coger, and First Lady Ophelia Coger from 1971. Inside this folio are 15 black & white 8”x10” photographs of chronicling church activities during Coger's pastorate.…

Reverend William Winston, who served as an assistant to our church Pastors for many years, wrote this letter to the wife of the late Founding Pastor John T. Marshall. Written on October 4, 1943, five years after Marshall's passing, the letter is an…

Corner chairs rose in popularity in the mid-18th century, but this sheraton-style example adorned the home of Matthews Memorial Baptist Church's original First Lady, Maria E. Marshall during the church's early years. Its woven seat and horizontal…

This wooden bank was given to the Reverend Reuben W. Hall during his pastorate at Matthews Memorial Baptist from 1949 to 1954. The bank was symbolic of our church edifice at 2627 Nichols Avenue, and it may have been used to encourage the congregation…

Deacon Johnnie M. Beasley’s illustrated copy of the Holy Bible appears to have been well used. This is a World Publishing Co., edition. Deaconess Beasley also served as an usher and supervisor for the Young Adult Usher Board. Female deacons were…

This pocket-size Gideon Bible, New Testament, belonged to Deacon John H. Beasley. He identified it with his name, address and the date, probably for when he acquired it. The late Deacon Beasley was the first member baptized in the baptismal pool of…

“Property of the Marshall Memorial Missionary Society of the Matthews Memorial Bapt. Church” is the inscription on the opening page of this missionary log journal. The minutes of its May 5, 1952 meeting, held at the home of one of its members,…

Wearing this black and gray minister’s robe “won thousands of souls to Christ,” said Bishop C. Matthew Hudson, Jr., Senior Servant of Matthews Memorial Baptist Church. Accompanying the robe is Pastor Hudson’s first Bible used for 18 years,…

Trustee H. Earl Coley, a golf instructor, used these golf clubs, an iron and a driver, and on occasions partnered with golf pro Charlie Sturgeon, shown in photo at right. This golf cap is one of a limited edition from the US Open 2011 Congressional…

This souvenir plate is a rendering of our church’s third place of Worship at 2627 Nichols Avenue, S.E. It was the first built edifice for our congregation. (The name of the avenue was changed to Martin Luther King, Jr., Avenue, in January…

Children’s Ministry white tee shirt designed for the MMBC Children’s Ministry Prayer Conference, 2011. Using scripture from I Thessalonians 5:17, “Pray without ceasing,” the tee shirt design promotes two words as acronyms to help the children…

Matthews Memorial’s missionary work is led by the leaders of the John T Marshall Missionary Society. In 1940, the John T. Marshall Missionary Society was organized by Pastor C. Howard Hickerson, in honor of our Founding Pastor John T. Marshall who…

Construction hat worn by Reverend Dr. John H. Kearney, Sr., Pastor, during the construction of the new 1,000-seat sanctuary and administrative building, from 1994 until its opening on Palm Sunday 1999.

The late Sister Denise Trudo, daughter of Brother Hollis and Sister Erma Trudo used this gown when she graduated from the American Association of Christian Counselors on May 21, 2003. Her course of study,“Caring for People God’s Way.” Upon…

The late Nellie M. Covington was the daughter of Founding Pastor and First Lady Marshall of the Matthews Memorial Baptist Church. Active in the church through the years, Sister Nellie later served for more than 20 years as the Dean of Christian…

The late Sister Grisella Ann Murphy served as an MMBC usher for many years. She also served as President of the Flower Club for more than 30 years. A 1985 plaque recognized her outstanding service in that capacity. One of Sister Murphy’s remaining…

The Church recognized the year 1971 as the Golden Year Celebration; “Hither to, hath the Lord led us”: it marked the 50th Anniversary of the Church. Always located in the Anacostia section of Southeast, Washington, DC, it has been known as the…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2