Site of National Training School for Women and Girls, 601 50th Street NE
Founded in 1909 by Nannie Helen Burroughs (1879-1961), this school provided industrial education to prepare women and girls for careers in domestic service, secretarial work, and in such professions as shoe repair, barbering, printing, and gardening. Burroughs called it the "School of 3 B's: the Bible, bath, and broom." Students boarded on site through 1961.
Burroughs was an author, orator, and advocate for women's and civil rights. The original buildings have been replaced, but the old gate, with its bas relief bust of Abraham Lincoln, remains. A private elementary school, run by the Progressive National Baptist Convention, continues to occupy the site. The current classroom building was erected in 1971, and renamed to honor Burroughs. A gilded bust of Burroughs graces the plaza by the front entrance.