Military Road School, 1375 Missouri Avenue, NW
The first school on this site opened in 1864, reusing a wood-frame barracks building from Fort Stevens, on land donated by the Butler sisters for the express purpose of educating the children of former slaves. The school, which served the African-American community of Vinegar Hill, was one of the first to open after Congress authorized public schools for African-Americans in 1862. The current building, erected in 1911, replaced the earlier barracks. For decades, this was the only school for African-Americans in this part of upper northwest. In 1954, the school was converted for special education of students with cognitive disabilities. It is currently used by the Latin American Montessori Bilingual Public Charter School.