Stevens Elementary School, 1050 21st Street, NW
One of the oldest surviving African-American public schools in D.C., the Stevens School was built in 1868, and the first to be considered the architectural equal of a white school. Later additions have changed the appearance of the exterior, but the original school building remains. It was named for Congressman Thaddeus Stevens of Pennsylvania (1792-1868), who advocated for desegregation in public schooling in the 1860s.
By the time the school closed in 2008, it was D.C.'s oldest school in continuous operation. The school building is currently embroiled in a contentious debate over its future development as a commercial property.
- Stevens Elementary School, 1050 21st Street, NW
- Emma V. Brown House, 3044 P Street, NW
- Billings School Site, 3100-08 Dumbarton Street, NW (now two private houses)
- James G. Berret School, 1408 Q Street, NW
- Sumner School Museum and Archives, 1201 17th Street NW
- 15th Street Presbyterian Church, 1705 15th St. NW
- Asbury Dwellings/Old Shaw Junior High, 1616 Marion Street, NW
- John Wesley A.M.E. Church, 1615 14th Street, NW
- Carter G. Woodson House, 1538 9th Street, NW
- Lucy Diggs Slowe House, 1758 T Street, NW (private)
- Site of Snow Riot, northwest corner of 6th Street, NW and Pennsylvania Avenue, NW